Patio Furniture Upcycle
As the weather warms up (here in Arizona at least), we have been spending more and more time outside. Once February hit Gabe and I are in the yard updating thing or starting new project! We were given some patio furniture from a family member when we moved into the house. Over the years due to the AZ sun it had taken quite a beating. So a 3 years ago I ended up updating all of it and then doing it again after that 2 years ago and thought I would share the awesome transformation with you and what I learn from the experience.
The first time I updated our patio furniture I started by removing all the old rubber bands that ran across the front. It was easy I just used heavy duty scissors to cut them and unwound. They were covered in dust (thanks to the haboobs we get every year). So I went through and cleaned then off with the hose. Then after choosing the right color spray painted I painted all of the metal frames. I used a black outdoor Rust-oleum black hammered spray paint. While the paint was drying I cut fence post wood sanded and stained them. I used a dark walnut stain over top I put a UV protectant top coat. I added a second coat of spray paint to all the bases and allowed everything to dry overnight.
The next day I started to put everything back together. The patio chair frames already had predrilled holes in them where the straps use to attach so I use those holes along with bookshelf brackets (seen in the picture) to attach the wood. I used small nuts and bolts for the wood and the metal piece that sticks out easily fit into the opening on the frame. Each piece of wood covered four holes on the base so it made the wood nice and secure.
For the table I decided to get rid of the glass piece in the middle and used it as a pattern to cute the wood in the correct shape and size. Once cut I put it back together the same way I took it apart but using the wood instead.
I loved the look of the piece when they were finished everything looked clean and pretty. However I learned from my mistakes. I ended up redo them a year later. The wood I used was way to thin!!! It worked fine for the upright chairs but on the lounge chairs it ended up braking through. It may be due to the intense sun and dry heat in AZ, or maybe it would have happened anywhere, either way it was time to fix them. The fix was simple I decided to use 2×4 instead of the fence boards. The 2x4s were actually way easier to install to! Because they are so much thicker I was able to use a short outdoor screw to attach them rather than the nuts and bolts. Making it 2x faster!
I also realized that the stain and uv top coat were not holding up well. It definitely works if you don’t mind going out and reapplying the top coat every 6 months or if the chairs are in a shaded area, or if you had pads over top! Ours are exposed completely to the elements and don’t have anything on them. At the time we had just painted our house so I had a lot of left over gray and white outdoor paint so I decided to paint them. Every other board gray and white. I think it turned out really cute and fun for the spring and summer!
Now its been a few years since we have changed the boards out to 2×4 and they are hold up great!!! I’ll probably go out this year and lightly sand them and give them another coat of paint but that’s not too bad, better than every 6 months!
Thanks for reading! Hope this helps with your own diy project!!