Make Your Own Desk Calendar
It’s a new year which means that it’s time to find a new calendar. Usually I’ll grab a fun Great Dane one or get one made with some pictures but this year I want to do something different. I decided to make a fun reusable desk calendar. It’s really easy to make and looks great anywhere in the house! It’s also very budget friendly about $10 for everything!!!
► 3.5in. Board (I used scrap fence boards)
► 5.5in Board (I used scrap fence boards)
►1/8in. x 12in. x 24in. Birch Plywood (Hobby Lobby)
►4 – Metal Hooks
►1 – Metal Clip
► Paint (Brown, Black, White)
►Black Sharpie Paint Pen
► Month & Number Printouts (or Black Sticker Letters)
►Yard Stick/Measuring Tape
1. Cut the 3.5 & 5.5 boards at 17.5in.
2. Go to your table saw and change the height of the blade so that it does not cut through the wood but rather only cut 1/4in. into the wood. Set the saw to cut at 1.75″ so that it cuts through the middle of the board. Take the 3.5 board and run it through the saw. Repeat cutting the wood at 1.5″ and at 2″. Make the cute out thick enough to fit your 5.5 board easily into (see pictures below)
3. Take the Birch board and cut it into 6 – 4.5in. x 3.25in. & 7 – 2in. x 3.25in.
4. Measure the center of the 2in. x 3.25in. boards and drill a hole about 1/4in. from the top
5. Take the 4.5in. x 3.25in. boards and measure 1/2in. from each side and drill a hole about 1/4in. from the top
6 . Sand all pieces smooth
7. Now you are going to paint / stain all of the wood piece. I decided to mix my acrylic paint to make a stain. Mix 3 parts brown paint with 1 part black paint and a touch of water to make a dark brown stain. Paint the base pieces and wipe off the excess paint with a paper towel.
8. Take the white paint and and do a coat of paint on each of the birch wood pieces front and back
9. Once the white paint has dried take your month and number print out and using a pen transfer the outline onto the wood piece. Putting the months on the front and back of the larger pieces and numbers on the back and front of the smaller pieces. You will want 2 – 0, 1, 2, & 3. Then take your sharpie paint marker and fill in the outline.
OR a bit easier take your sticker number and letters and label all of your pieces
10. Place your number and month pieces onto the 5.5 base and place the hooks where you would like them about 1/2 an inch from the top of the board
11. Take the clip and using the super glue attach the clip to the board centered between the end of the board and the month
12. Take the 5.5 board and glue it to the 3.5 board use clamps to hold it in place. Allow it to dry over night