DIY Wooden Animals Toys
With the Christmas getting closer and closer I wanted to get Mae some of those adorable wooden animals. They are the cutest thing ever, but they are also a bit pricey! The good news is that they are so easy and cheap to make! Since Mae is obsessed with animals it was the perfect gift for her!
Before you get started your going to have to figure out what type of wood you would like to use. There are a lot of different types of wood to work with but when it comes to making toys hardwoods are usually the best to choose from. When you use softer woods they are more likely to chip or break. Some good choices are: Maple, Walnut, Cherry, Oak, or Mahogany. It just depends on the color and price you want to pay and what you have available to you.
1. You can sketch out you animals or you can go online print them out. If you choose to use print outs look up animal drawings or outlines find the ones that you like and copy them to word. There you can resize them to your size preference (about 3-5in.) and then print them out
2. Take your print out and trace it onto a piece of wood
3. Use your scroll saw to slowly and carefully cut out the animal shape
4. Once cut out sand down the piece so that it is smooth to touch. You may want to use different shaped files to get into the tighter spaces
5. Wipe down your pieces and use your wood burning tool to add eyes as well as any other details you would like to show
6. Optional: To to paint them mix acrylic paint with water and paint to tint the wood
7. Spray them with a layer of Shellac to finish (which is natural alternative clear coat)